Texsport Black Ice The Scouter Hard Anodized Cook Set



 

This is a set for the backpack gourmet who values comfort, but who has to make some sacrifices for weight. I wanted a reasonably light cookset for two that was small enough to be packable by an overnight kayaker -- which isn't the same as a backpacker since my boat can carry twice as much weight and gear as I can -- that is of decent quality, is durable and cleans up easily. I was tired of scrubbing egg residue out of my very old and tried-and-true stainless/copper bottom set. 

It's hard complain. This is ideal for two to three campers, distributes heat very well thanks to the dark, anodized finish, and my stove (a Brunton Talon), a firestarter or lighter, camp soap and a nylon cleaning rag all fit inside the kit which fits inside my backpack or dry bag. 

There are a few tradeoffs: I have used cookware with these style handles for years. What I have learned carries to this set as well: The handles are prone to being loose and swinging without being moved into position and they are not lockable. Still, I prefer this style to those with a single detachable (and potentially "losable") handle for all pans in the set since I sometimes cook with more than one pan. The skillet is a little smaller than I'd like and it has high sides. In fact, it's definitely more of a half-pan than a skillet. I won't be frying up a trout in it without some serious knife work. 

Again, these are more tradeoffs than criticisms. 

Light, yes, but not titanium light or backpacker-on-the-Appalachian-Trail light. Cheap, yes, but not aluminum cheap or titanium expensive. Teflon cleans VERY VERY easily, but, being Teflon, it will certainly eventually scratch or wear out. Durable, yes, but only time will tell and that Teflon won't last forever. 

My final note is that it compares nicely to my camping friend's MSR Blacklite system. I am pleased with the price and with the set. For those who cook for large groups, or hikers who want a cookset to weigh less than an empty tuna can, look elsewhere. But if you want to do more than boil water for a freeze dried meal (like cook up some fish, potatoes and eggs) without a lot of extra weight, this is a very good choice. See more

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2009 Camping Focus. All rights reserved.
Free WPThemes presented by Leather luggage, Las Vegas Travel coded by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy